If you are unfamiliar with the concept of a homestay you might wonder what it means and what advantages it offers over other types of accommodation.
Staying in a homestay means that you will be a guest in a private home. It takes the detachment away from tourism, makes the guide book redundant and gives you a unique and unforgettable experience of the intricacies of Indian life and culture.
Don’t take our word for it though.
Discover from travellers why a homestay is the best accommodation in India:
- Homestays are the ideal option
Homestays are the ideal accommodation option a UK visitor reviews in this podcast
- Warm, Friendly And Genuine
The homestay experience and concept is explained by a UK journalist visiting Kerala
- The homestay experience
Visitors talk about their homestay experience in this video post
- Exceptionally comfortable accommodation
In a guest review discover what made his homestay experience memorable
- Two month stay in “an amazing home”
Liam from Canada talks about his extended stay in Jaipur while doing
- Homestays for business travellers
India homestays are a popular choice over hotels for travelling business people.
The homestays are generally houses typical to the region with at most around six guest bedrooms. Some homestays have rooms for guests in separate “cottages”, others offer rooms within the house. The standard of facilities is high with en-suite bathrooms offering all the western facilities you would expect to find in a boutique hotel.
Some of the benefits of staying in a homestay include:
- Enjoy authentic Indian food at its very best – home cooked
- Benefit from the local knowledge of your hosts
- Book tours and activities through your hosts who will have links with reputable tour operators
- Experience real Indian hospitality and culture
Find out about the homestay experience and don't forget to check out our ideas on things to do in India or browse our India homestays.