Shimla is the capital of Himachal Pradesh and has been one of the most popular choices for a summer holiday for decades. This, however, has caused rampant commercialisation of the small hillstation. But there are some simple insights and tricks to avoiding the crowds while enjoying Shimla’s attractions. If you are travelling to India in June it is the perfect time to visit Shimla.
Shimla summer festival
The five-day long festival starts in early June, the specific date changes yearly. Famous singers from all over India are invited to perform on various nights, genres range from Bollywood music to Punjabi pop and folk songs. Shimla’s weather makes it a haven for horiculture and festival’s wonderful flower show depicts this beautifully. Other attractions include a food festival and even an art exhibition.
When to go
The peak season in Shimla is from May to July, so visiting Shimla in June is the perfect time for good weather. Hotels get booked well in advance during this time as people are looking for a respite from the heat. It is one of the top destinations for family summer vacations.
• Day trips to places like Cheil, Kufri, Annandale and many others can be prearranged or the journey can be spontaneously undertaken by just hopping into a taxi.
• Shimla is extremely well connected to North India.
• The Kalka-Shimla Rail connects Shimla to most cities in North India.
• The closest city is Chandigarh but a drive from Delhi to Shimla is common and convenient.
• A small airport also connects the hillstation to Delhi.
• Extremely comfortable AC Volvo buses leave Delhi for Shimla many times a day, every day. The price per ticket is no more than Rs. 700.
If you would like to visit Shimla in June contact our reservations team who will be happy to help you with your plans.
Find out about the homestay experience and don't forget to check out our ideas on things to do in India or browse our India homestays.