Staying in one of Mahindra’s unique homestays is an experience in itself. But many homestays organise experiences and activities for guests, which range from exciting and challenging to relaxed and fun. Here is a list of six such activities to give you some unique Indian holiday experiences.
1. Paragliding: at the Evergreen Estate in Kottayam, Kerala one can enjoy a 1 hour paragliding ride. The right time to experience this is from August to April. The ride is priced at Rs. 5,000 (approx £70) and starts at a point that’s just 20 minutes from the homestay by car.
2. Yak Safari: In Ladkah’s rural homestays you can explore the area in a novel way, on the back of a yak. An Indian holiday experience you won’t forget! These yak safaris start at Rs. 750 (approx £11) and last for about half an hour. Rides start in the village of Ulleh and the right season for this is between June to August.
3. Diving for lobsters and clams: At the gorgeous Vembanad homestay in Alleppey, Kerala one can go diving for lobsters and clams. This is a very rare experience in India and the three hour dive costs just Rs. 500. (approx £7) This is a seasonal activity, which can be organised in August with the local fishermen at night is almost magical.
4. Night trekking: At the enchanting and unique Periyar Tiger Reserve, night trekking is organised by the hosts of Pepper Country homestay, Thekkady, Kerala. The price starts at Rs. 700 ( approx £10) and the 3 hour trek commences 2 kms from the homestay. The activity can be enjoyed all through the year but there are some regional limitations in monsoons.
5. White water rafting: This thrilling activity is available in many parts of India as a lot of cities are fed by rivers. But with the Eco Habitat in Coorg, Karnataka the experience is as majestic as it is convenient. The hosts organise the experience for guests and just Rs. 600 (approx £9) and the landscapes set it apart from any other place in India. There are options from 1 hour rides to 2.5 hour rides, which start at just 10 minutes from the homestay. This is only organised during monsoons and 30 minutes of training are required.
6. Mountain biking: With the Hill View homestay in Wayanad, Kerala one can enjoy a thrilling wat to explore the divine region – on mountain bikes. These are done under the supervision of guides and expert supervisors. The cost starts at Rs. 1,200 (approx £17), which includes charges for hiring the bike. This is a 6 hour activity and needs a fair amount of stamina. Rides are organised all through the year except during monsoons which last from June/July to August.
Find out about the homestay experience and don't forget to check out our ideas on things to do in India or browse our India homestays.